Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New JOB

Now this one is a classic example to show the effectiveness in the working of Govt Departments in our country. It highlights the 'coordination' between them.
Friday, January 16, 2009. The clock was saying 'quarter to five' in the evening. Ding-dong. The speed-post guy. My brother received it, which was a letter meant for me. He told me that I was selected in IDBI bank as an executive, for which I had taken a written test and an interview, and it was my appointment letter sent by the bank. Okay people, IDBI is 52.3% govt. For more, read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Development_Bank_of_India

The news came as a slight shock to me, although a happy one. Shock because they declared me 'not qualified' when I had checked results on the net. I thought that some factors other than my performance were responsible. But now, I became happy and started reading the letter, only to discover that a bigger shock was in store for me.
On turning the pages, I came to know that last day to report for the job was January 15, 2009. Are you getting the effectiveness and coordination that i was talking about? I got the letter a day later than the last date. In fact, it was dispatched on 16th. At least the stamp on envelope yelled that. It was just 10 minutes to 5. I had to report at Pusa Road branch, which would have got closed by 6. It was told on phone.Without wasting any time, I picked my certificates,and headed off for the office in an auto. My auto walla was a gem, who understood my situation and took me to the branch. He even took the pain of asking the whereabouts of the place. He was a very fine human being at heart, as he did not forget to wish me luck. And for all his wishes and contributions, Rs 150/- that he charged, for picking me from Safdarjang Enclave and dropping at Pusa, was just an offering, the farz that I had to fulfill.
Anyway, back to my appointment. They said that I was late. I was also prepared. To fight. To have heated arguments. But nothing of the sort happened. I explained the situation just once. And I was recruited, albeit next day, with some red tape involved.
And now, I am working there. Not for money. Not to make a career out of it. Being honest, I do not like the work. Though I am getting applause on daily basis. And i am getting it from the source that matters. My boss. She is a very sweet person. Many people have called me lucky to have Pooja Mam, as everyone calls her, as my boss. Other bosses are more interested in bossing around, rather than getting the things done. I noticed it today, when she said, "Yeah! No problem" when I asked whether tomorrow I could leave early.


I realize that I have been writing this post in a manner akin to sas bahu serials. Story starts at a place, then takes a digression. Then back. Then digression.
Anyway, coming back to my job, I have joined the bank because two years of studies at home has taken a toll on me. And by interacting with people, I hope to come out of the emotional vacuum that has got created around me. As for why this job, which is nowhere near the level of UPSC, well, I do not have marks to sit in Bank PO type exams. And SSC exams I have not taken. Corporate jobs shall pay me well. But then, time left to me shall be too less to be in touch with my books. So, this job has put me on an optimum place, if not the best....
Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

Sanjeev said...

Oye! finally u got the job na!
itna ho halla kyon be.
Anyways, i salute ur tolerence to sit n write so long but at the same time quite interesting incidents of urs. jaldi he ek horrow movie banane ja raha hun.
n undoubtdly u'll the script writer.
he he he ho ho ho.........
well done dear.